The primary mission of the Tony Hawk Foundation is to promote high quality, public skateparks in low-income areas throughout the United States, and to support International programs that enrich the lives of youth through skateboarding. Only organizations seeking to build free, public skateparks in low-income communities in the United States may apply for a grant from the Tony Hawk Foundation. While we realize that not every community can afford to build big, expensive skateparks, we feel strongly that public skateparks should be designed and constructed by experienced contractors. We also believe that local officials should treat public skateparks the same way they treat public basketball courts or tennis courts, meaning that anyone may show up and use them anytime, unsupervised.
The foundation primarily considers skatepark projects that:
- are designed and built from concrete by qualified and experienced skatepark contractors
- include local skaters throughout the planning, fundraising, and design process
- are in low-income areas and/or areas with a high population of “at-risk” youth
- can demonstrate a strong grassroots commitment to the project, particularly in the form of fundraising by local skateboarders and other community groups
- have a creative mix of street obstacles (rails, ledges, stairs, etc.) and transition/vert terrain (quarterpipes, bowls, halfpipes, etc.)
- don’t require skaters or their parents to sign waivers
- encourage skaters to look after their own safety and the safety of others without restricting their access to the park or over-regulating their use of it
- are open during daylight hours, 365 days a year
- don’t charge an entrance fee
- are in areas that currently have no skateboarding facilities.
Applicants must be a public charity, organized under IRC Sec. 501(C)(3), and qualified under IRC Sec. 170(B)(1)(A), or a state or local agency, including public school systems or public projects.
Please see the online FAQs
for additional information or connect with the Tony Hawk Foundation via this website