The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Grant Programs Directorate is responsible for the implementation and administration of the Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Program. The Grant Programs Directorate administers the Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) Grant Program as part of the AFG Program. The purpose of the FP&S Grant Program is to enhance the safety of the public and firefighters with respect to fire and fire-related hazards by assisting fire prevention programs and supporting firefighter health and safety research and development.
FP&S Grants are offered to support projects in two activities:
Fire Prevention and Safety Activity (FP&S): The FP&S Activity is designed to reach high-risk target groups and mitigate the incidence of death, injuries and property damage caused by fire and fire-related hazards. Accordingly, the five project categories eligible for funding under this activity are:
- Community Risk Reduction
- Wildfire Risk Reduction
- Code Enforcement/Awareness
- Fire & Arson Investigation
- National/State/Regional Programs and Studies.
Firefighter Safety Research and Development (R&D) Activity: The R&D Activity is aimed at improving firefighter safety, health, or wellness through research and development that reduces firefighter fatalities and injuries. The six project categories eligible for funding under this activity are:
- Clinical Studies
- Technology and Product Development
- Database System Development
- Dissemination and Implementation Research
- Preliminary Studies
- Early Career Investigator.
The following entities are eligible to apply directly to FEMA under this NOFO:
- Fire Prevention and Safety Activity (FP&S): Fire departments; and national, regional, state, local, tribal, and non-profit organizations that are recognized for their experience and expertise in fire prevention and safety programs and activities. Both private and public nonprofit organizations are eligible to apply for funding in this activity. For-profit organizations, federal agencies, and individuals are not eligible to receive a FP&S Grant Award under the FP&S Activity.
- Firefighter Safety Research and Development Activity (R&D): National, state, local, Native American tribal, and non-profit organizations, such as academic (e.g., universities), public health, occupational health, and injury prevention institutions. Both private and public non-profit organizations are eligible to apply for funding in this activity. Fire departments are not eligible to apply for funding in the R&D Activity. Additionally, for-profit organizations, federal agencies, and individuals are not eligible to receive a grant award under the R&D Activity.
AFG Help Desk
Phone: (866) 274-0960