Sports courts help communities address a lack of play opportunities for older youth that no longer play on playgrounds. The interlocking panels are easy to install and maintain. Sports courts provide communities with a wide variety of different sports using the same space — such as basketball, hockey, volleyball and many other games.
Sports courts applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- Serve youth from low-income population and demonstrate the need for an engaging space for kids and older youth to play sports.
- Work with the community, with guidance from a dedicated KaBOOM! Project Manager, to fundraise toward the cost of equipment.
- Own the land on which you wish to build, or have a long-term lease and get permission from the landowner to construct a sports court.
- Demonstrate ability to recruit a team of parents, neighbors, and community members who are excited about serving on the planning committee for an eight to ten week period, plus recruit approximately 100-200 community members to participate on Build Day.
- Complete any needed site preparation to create a flat asphalt or concrete slab with dimensions of 64 feet by 40 feet or 74 feet by 42 feet.
- Secure soil tests, utility checks, and build permits in a timely manner.
- Identify community resources to secure additional in-kind contributions such as breakfast and lunch for Build Week, tools, restroom facilities and a dumpster.
- Accept ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the sports court upon completion of project.
The KaBOOM! Multi-sport Courts program provides the facilitation and support of an experienced Project Manager as community members embark on an eight- to ten-week planning process. After selection, all partners will join together for a community Design Day, inviting the youth that will utilize the Sports Court to design their new playspace.
The planning process culminates in a six-hour community-build day, where your community will transform your space to include a permanent play structure and site enhancements that make the space unique to your community. Site enhancements vary for each project due to location, budget and scope of project.
Please see the online FAQs
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have additional questions.