This program provides funding for highway-rail or pathway-rail grade crossing improvement projects that focus on improving the safety and mobility of people and goods.
The NOFO is now available here: 2022-07-06-Railroad-Crossing-Elimination-FR-NOFO
Register: Railroad Crossing Elimination Grant Program Notice of Funding Opportunity Webinar on Thursday, July 14, 2022 2:00:00 PM EDT - 3:30:00 PM EDT
- Grade separation or closure, including through the use of a bridge, embankment, tunnel, or combination thereof;
- Track relocation;
- Improvement or installation of protective devices, signals, signs, or other;
- Measures to improve safety related to a separation, closure, or track relocation project;
- Other means to improve the safety if related to the mobility of people and goods at highway-rail grade crossings (including technological solutions);
- The planning, environmental review, and design of an eligible project type.
FRA representatives also underscored that 3% of the program is dedicated just to planning projects, which should help some communities navigate cost barriers and explore good ideas that lead to future projects. Other set-asides include for rural and tribal areas, which will receive no less than 20% of funding, and for crossing safety and education programs (0.25%).
There is a 20% non-federal matching share.
Need more information or technical assistance?
Check out GoRail's Rail Grant Hub for more rail-related grants through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. Contact: Christy Sammon at email@example.com