The 2019 Mayors Christmas Motorcade marked the 60th year of the events and final GMA-sponsored Mayors’ Christmas Motorcade events at the five state hospitals. GMA created the below Motorcade Resource list for cities interested in continuing the tradition for years to come in their local communities.
GMA wishes the best of luck and holiday cheer to cities and communities across the state who will continue in the Motorcade tradition. Please remember that the mental health group homes located in your communities and state hospitals are still in need of items for clients. GMA encourages you to reach out to them for their needs and create a donation drop-off system.
Motorcade Observance Ideas:
- Host a community blood drive.
- Create drop stations and promote a community toy drive.
- Work with the Department of Family and Children Services to adopt a family in need for the holidays.
- This could be the city staff adopting a family or work with DFCS to encourage the entire community to participate.
- Donate to a local homeless shelter through a blanket/coat drive.
- Facilitate a food drive for the local food pantry.
- Coordinate a baby shower for your community pregnancy center.
- Suggested items: diapers (all sizes), wipes, formula, blankets, and baby shampoo wash and lotion
- Support the local animal shelter by providing old newspapers, sheets, blankets, towels, unopened dog food or treats, plastic bags, and more.
- Create a Utility Bill Donation fund to allow city residents to donate to their neighbors
- Host a socially distant parade.
- Coordinate a week of giving for local nursing homes.
- Suggested items: diabetic socks, large print books, puzzles, board games, stationery, and more.